Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sunday, December 11th, 6pm

At the Blarney Stone, 1505 Dorchester Avenue.   Walking directions from Fields Corner Station on the Red (Ashmont) Line.



Readers:


Morie Deykute is a first-year MFA Poetry student at UMass Boston. After leaving Russia at the age of 12, Morie has lived in Brooklyn, Montreal and Santa Fe, scribbling all the while. At the moment Morie teaches kindergarten, reads compulsively and writes poems. She is obsessed with displacement, the magic of language, and the impending nature of Northeastern winters. 





Johnny Diaz is a staff writer for The Boston Globe's Business section, where he writes about local TV news, radio, and advertising (and whatever stories his editors throw his way).  He's also the author of four gay-themed novels: Boston Boys Club, Miami ManhuntBeantown Cubans and the newly published, Take The Lead. On his downtime, the Dorchester resident enjoys hiking in the Blue Hills, reading People magazine and walking around downtown Providence (the setting for his fifth book).





Aaron Devine is a writer and Spanish-English translator originally from St. Louis Park, Minnesota. He’s a 2nd year student of fiction in the UMass-Boston MFA program.  Aaron has juggled atop Masada (Israel), Machu Picchu (Peru) and Savin Hill (Dorchester). He lives in Savin Hill.






Christopher Kain: I discovered reading poetry out loud while I was a junior at UMass Amherst twenty years ago. After graduation, I moved to Cincinnati, OH, where I performed at a Borders Books & Music as well as an open folk mic. I then moved to Washington, DC, where my work was anthologized in publications by the Federal Poets as well as the Live Poets Society. After a slight snag of finances, I moved in with the parents in CT & started a poetry workshop at the Borders in Manchester, CT. I also published my first book, memory plays, a collection of pastoral odes to common things.  Ten years ago, I moved to Boston & started reading at the Cantab Lounge in Cambridge, MA. There, I found the power of emotion both in performance & writing. I graduated with a Master's Degree in Library Science from Simmons College & published a second book titled homefront, that featured a poem for every half hour of the day. I was contributing to a blog with the goal of writing 365 poems in 365 days. Many of those poems went into my recent collection, Twentieth Century Limited, which features a poem for every year of the twentieth century. I'll be reading from that book. 





Sam Cha grew up in Korea.  He went to school at Seoul National University, Williams College, UVA, and Rutgers.  He's a second year MFA poet at UMass.  You can find his work (poems, translations, and essays) online and in print in various places, if you're really good at Googling.

No comments:

Post a Comment